Tiegs talks fashion, concepts of beauty - Indiana Gazette

Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:45 am | Updated: 6:27 pm, Fri Sep 30, 2011.

Supermodel Cheryl Tiegs, known for her all-American beauty, Sports Illustrated covers and bikini royalty in the 1970s and '80s, is now a spokeswoman for Cambria stone surfaces. We caught up with her to talk fashion and her evolving concepts of beauty.

Tiegs, 63, also dropped news that she has agreed to appear on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"I was asked last night," she said. "I thought on Sunday nights I would have my soup and salad and would have an easier life, but this is a challenge, and I've never said no to a challenge. But it's scary. I know Donald Trump. I said to him I should be on the show, but now all of a sudden it's a reality and I'm like, 'Oh, my God.'"

Question: What are your days like? Do you travel a lot?

Answer: You have no idea. That's putting it mildly. You know, sometimes when I accept something, I think, "Oh, my God, it would be so much easier to sit at home with my dogs and my friends and my boyfriend." But I've never done things that are just easy.

Question: Are you still interested in fashion?

Answer: I am. ... I'm not a big shopper. I'm not greedy when it comes to fashion, but I'm always totally interested in it.

Question: How do your tastes run these days?

Answer: It has always been a fine line between very classic, and on the other side, trendy. I like something that is a little cutting-edge. I like very clean silhouettes, almost the minimalist look.

Question: Do you have any favorite designers?

Answer: I stick with Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Roberto Cavalli.

Question: What's your fitness-and-health routine?

Answer: I think yoga is one of the keys to my happiness. A week ago, I started getting irritated at the littlest things, and I thought, Time to go to yoga. It just calms me down. It just smoothes out the world. And I meditate every day.

Question: Do you think that impacts your appearance, too?

Answer: Yes. I think there's a calmness about me, a calmness I certainly feel inside. People say I'm very calm and not a lot ruffles me, so there's a certain strength in that. You can walk into any situation, you can go about your day and if you have that center, I just think it shows on the outside.

Question: What advice do you give people?

Answer: I would say 16 is the very, very youngest that anyone should step in front of a camera.

Question: How old were you?

Answer: I was 16, but I modeled part time when I was in high school and then I went to college and modeled part time, and then I went to New York. I think the key to beauty is educating yourself, and even if you finish your formal education, just go out and have adventures and try new things, something you've never done. That's the key to beauty. ... Just spend time with yourself first.

Question: Can women older than 40 still have a relevant role in the fashion-and-beauty world?

Answer: I think they can have a relevant role until the day they die. I don't think that beauty has to do with age. I've seen older women, like 80s and 90s, who just take my breath away and I want to know them, I want to talk with them and be with them. I think every age has a big stamp on society. There's something to be said, of course, for the beauty of youth, but it doesn't stop. It doesn't stop unless you let it stop.

Posted in on Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:45 am. Updated: 6:27 pm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity model Andrej Pejic in town for Toronto Fashion Week - Toronto Star

Times up for The Hour as flagging chat show axed - Herald Scotland

Avatar named the most pirated movie of all time